Top RV Coverage Musts

If you have a recreational vehicle, whether  new to this type of life, or reviewing your coverage, there are things to know about coverage, and BLC Insurance can assist with any questions you have. There are different types of vehicles, from motor homes in the A, B, and C-class to fifth wheelers and everything in-between, and coverage is unique to each.  

What are the must have types of insurance for total peace of mind to cover you and your investment? 

  • Allowance for Emergency Expenses:  For travel, and lodging.
  • Bodily Injury and Liability:  Coverage would be for property damage, medical costs, and in the case of an accident, legal fees. 
  • Comprehensive/Collision: Types of damage caused by another vehicle or fire, vandalism or theft.
  • Optional Full Replacement Cost Coverage: Covers if vehicle is totaled or stolen.
  • Permanent Attachments (sometimes referred to as accessories):  This would cover such things as awnings, antennas, and a satellite dish.
  • Personal Belongings: Everything you bring with you that isn’t part of the RV.
  • Roadside Assistance: Emergency roadside help and towing. 
  • Storage or Full Time:  If you are a full-time RV’er, then you’ll need coverage much like homeowners insurance because all of your valuables are with you. Storing the vehicle part of the year is a different type of coverage.
  • Uninsured/underinsured motorist:  Is not required in Iowa, but when you have this kind of money invested in a mobile habitat, you will want to be covered when others are not.

The most common types of incidents include forgetting to retract steps and awnings, striking bridges and gas station overhangs, propane leaks, tire blowouts, and infestations of bugs or animals (think rodents) while stored.  There is no end to how damage and accidents happen with recreational vehicles. Be prepared.  BLC Insurance can help you.